TAHARQA THEATER PROJECT (TTP)
Appeal..Appeal.. Appeal.. Appeal.. Appeal..Appeal
To all concerned international organizations, institutes, philanthropists, museums, universities and individuals
The idea of building a Nubian theater in the Nubian land to perform arts and folklore of Nubia and the indigenous people of Sudan has been initiated by Nubia Project, seconded and supported by the Higher Authority to Develop Nubia and Resist Dams (HADNRD) as one of the Nubian programs to break the
longtime isolation imposed on Nubia since the advent of the Arabian and Islamic invasion to Sudan and the increasing process of acculturation and Arabization which became a real threat and daunting challenge to the Nubian survival as one of the threatened indigenous people of the world.
It is our firm believe that the Nubian theater will play a major role in reinvigorating and revitalizing the Nubian language and culture and bring Nubia back to flourish. The Nubian language, the oldest written African language now has been abandoned for over 8 centuries but the Nubians were able to keep it alive and vibrant through their songs and stories despite of all hindrances and cultural cleansing policies to distract Nubians from using it.
It was only in 1979 when a Nubian archaeologist – linguist, Dr. Mukhtar Khalil Kabbara rewrote the Nubian language grammar book and the Nubians started learning and rewriting their language again. The second step to introduce the Nubian language again to the world is through writing Nubian stories, songs and play them from their theaters. The world will see Nubian arts, songs and folkloric dances as well as Nubian arts and creativity.
The following is a brief idea about the theater project and we hope that the Nubians and their friends will work together to make this dream come true.
Name of the Project:
Location: Near Kidintakar, Kajbar, Nubia, Northern Province of Sudan where Nubians organized a peaceful protest against building a dam at the site of the proposed dam of Kajbar and several young Nubians got killed and injured by the security forces.
When I listened first time to "The Gods love Nubia", I cried. As a Nubian who lost his childhood memories under that waters of a dam and who will never see his beloved land again, I felt lost in a wilderness but I realized that the people around the world love Nubia I felt consoled and better and even felt elated by feeling that we are not alone. All of us love Nubia and let us sing for Nubia.
The gods love Nubia, the beautiful, the golden
The radiant, the fertile, the gentle and the blessed
The pain of Nubia is only for the moment
the desolate the suffering the plundered, oppressed
Stop Destruction of Nubia by Dams and Arabization
Nubia Project has launched many campaigns against damming and Arabizing Nubia. The International Society for Nubian Studies was approached by us since its 9th International Conference convened in Boston in August 1998, the 11th International Conference in Vienna in August 2008 and at the 12th International Conference convened in London in August 2011.
We also approached the Director General of UNESCO, Ambassador Irina Bokova and appealed to her with several Nubian organizations and invited her Excellency to visit Nubia and see the situation on the ground. Nubia had been ravaged by Aswan an High Dam of Egypt since 1902. The most serious destruction of Nubia was by the High Dam built in mid sixties of last century by Egypt when the total Nubian territory inside Egypt was submerged along with 180 kilometers inside the Sudanese Nubian territory. The Nubian exodus was the largest of its kind in the 20th century. The international campaign led by UNESCO was able to salvage about 25% of the antiquities and the remaining 75% were inundated and lost forever and the world incurred an irreparable loss of its heritage. The Sudan government has built a dam at Merowe in a very harried manner in 2004 and without the consent of the local population, causing another major destruction to the Nubian antiquities and displacing thousands of people to the desert.
Now the Sudan government is taking more serious steps to build more dams in the remaining Nubian land, specifically at Dal, Kajbar and el-Sheraik cataracts. These dams will wipe out the remaining Nubian land with its antiquities and archaeological treasures. We appeal to the international community to exert its good offices and pressures on the governments of Sudan and Egypt to stop these dams and allow the indigenous Nubian people to live peacefully on their ancestral lands.
Take the past glories of Nubia to a brighter future for Nubia, the cradle of civilizations
Copyright 2016. Nubia Project. All Rights Reserved.